Monday, August 5, 2013

New Studio - It's Official!

The first step of my new studio is complete! We finally have concrete in the ground and it's really happening! It's Official!

Saturday we poured the footings for my new studio. Jesse's younger brother and dad came and helped and the process went pretty smooth (for a bunch of amateurs). Jesse and his dad had worked for the last couple of weeks getting it all framed in and ready to pour.

 
I mentioned to some people that I would be helping with the pour and they were rather surprised. What, I don't look like a concrete worker...lol :) Jesse's grandpa came down to "supervise", so I had him take a couple pictures to prove that I was helping.

I basically did whatever I was told. Shovel here, hold the shoot there, etc. The "fun" part of the job was running the concrete vibrator. It helps pack the concrete and move it to corners and such. Every time I put it in the footings, I got a face full of concrete splatter! I asked if I was doing it right, and unfortunately that's just part of the job. This second photo is actually after I'd cleaned up a bit :)

I have to send a huge thanks to Jesse's dad through this whole process. He's been at our house almost every day working on my new studio. His experience and knowledge are very helpful and we wouldn't be able to do this work ourselves without his help.

The next step will be pouring the floor. We were hoping to do all the concrete at once, but we ran into an old cistern which caused some delays. We're putting in in-floor heat, so we still have some work to do to prepare the area for concrete. We have to dig the hole for the plumbing, lay the screenings to level it out, then goes foam, then the plastic water lines...and then we're ready for concrete. I'm hoping to get that done this coming weekend, but chances are it might be another two weeks.

21 comments:

  1. Pretty exciting! I'll look forward to future updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! You are very lucky with those handy man. I love how you are doing all this hard work with a pink printed shirt and pink cap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!! Major congrats with the custom built studio with under floor heating! Yay for you :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool. Thanks for sharing this awesome experience with us. Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! It's so nice to have so many handy people in your own family! Good for you for getting in there and getting dirty, haha. I'm not very knowledgeable about anything like this, but I make for a good "gofer" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay!!

    Thats exciting! Also, thats kind of cool that you helped. I'm always amazed how things are built so I probably would have just stared. but, now that you helped you can say 'I built this myself.. '

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! So exciting! And I loved that you helped - you look tough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing the progress and I'm sure you're very excited! Great job helping them out too! You are a very cute concrete girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so exciting! And it's gotta be fun to help out and know you're contributing (& have the pics to prove it!). Great job, and I can't wait to see the progress.
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exciting days! It's so nice that you have helpers! You could add the pics to your resume' in case you ever want to become a concrete worker!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting to be underway with the addition project! I enjoyed the in progress photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In floor heat sounds so fancy! Congrats on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so cool that you guys are doing this one your own! Pouring concrete must be a strange experience. When the building is complete it will be much more gratifying knowing you had a part in it all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray!! What fun to see your dream space come to life! The heated floors will be SO nice this winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so exciting! What wonderful help you have! It will add such great meaning to the finished studio. so thrilled for you, Edi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks very exciting! Lucky you for being able to build your studio from the ground up. It must be fun to plan out where everything is going to go, and to create your perfect setup.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are lucky to have these guys in your family. It seems like very hard work! I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You sure are an "all around" girl! I think you could do anything! Reminds me of myself, in my younger years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sure are an "all around" girl! I think you could do anything! Reminds me of myself, in my younger years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so excited for you, Edi--but I think you're more excited than anyone! Good for you for helping out--hope it wasn't too much of a problem wiping away the concrete splatter in the face...and I'll bet your clothing can't be worn for anything but this type of work in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...