Monday, August 20, 2012

2, 4, 6, 8? Listing Sets

Something I see asked a lot in the forums on Etsy, and that I have trouble with from time to time as well, is listing items in sets.
*Will this item sell as a set?
*How many should I list in each set?
*Should I offer multiple sets?

When I first started listing my wine glass sets, I had them listed as sets of four. To me this just seemed like a common glass set number. I sold a few, but my other glass items seemed to do better than the wine glasses.

I recently had a request for a set of two wine glasses. After the custom listing sold, I went ahead and relisted it as an option for my shop. I tend to do this a lot with my shot glass, beer mug and flute sets too. It gives buyers more options. Just since listing the newly made set, I've sold three more sets of the two glass listing!

Sometimes it's just trial and error that leads to the right answer. After I got to thinking about it, a set of two does make more sense for gift-giving. If you're going to put a couples' names or monogram on a glass, they probably don't need their name on more than one glass :) It's always a good idea to revisit our listings and see what changes we can make.

14 comments:

  1. That's a good point about the wine glasses! I guess two does make more sense.

    The only "official" multiple listings I have are for some basic bridesmaid earrings, but my regular listings sell better! People just convo me with the number they need, so until they start to get confused, I'm keeping the shop how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an option and discount on some of the journals which has helped.

    I do think the two glass set would be better because of weddings so it is nice that you offered up that option to potential buyers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good that you tried out selling only a set of 2. Especially if it's going to be a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight! I'm glad that the 2 set listing is working. Sometimes it does take trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea...what would seem like a no brainer really isn't! I'd done things like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that it worked out! Makes sense.

    I sometimes create a pair of earrings inspired by a necklace and wonder if I should sell them as a set. I still wonder, as more earrings get sold than necklaces. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two in a set makes sense to me especially for wine glasses. Hope you continue to sell lots of twos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your shot glasses! Those would make great gifts for the grooms men at a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're right that it takes experimentation to figure out whether something will sell better as a set, and then you have to define what "set" means. Sometimes people will tell me I should sell something that way, and when I do, it doesn't sell. It can be frustrating, but you have to look at it as an experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There really is a lot of trial and error--both in creating a product and marketing it. Sometimes I really don't have a clue about what my "ideal customer" is thinking!

    And I've found sometimes it depends on the venue. For example, on Etsy I sell way more oven mitts in pairs. Locally, I sell more as single mitts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good point! I was thinking that the sets of two would be perfect for the wedding couple or anniversary gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy that you had such luck with the new set number! I probably would've thought 4 too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is hard to figure out what people will want to purchase. It's is all about trial and error, like you said. I would think you could sell the individually and as sets, giving your customers more options and you more options to make money. Sometimes you might need just one for yourself.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your glasses look wonderful!
    It IS difficult to figure out what people want sometimes. It seems you've made a discovery. A set of two does make a lot of sense--especially for gift giving.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...