Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Making Connections

I recently had the pleasure of working with Joyce and Gary of JGWoodSigns. They contacted me about a consignment deal which turned into a wonderful transaction. JGWoodSigns does a lot of custom work and for their recent show, they wanted more "cash and carry" items. They loved my engraved coasters and thought they would do well with their items.
Here's how we worked the deal...
They told me which coasters they wanted and how many of each. I also sent along custom samples and order forms. I shipped the coasters to them, they had their show and shipped back what didn't sell. We worked a consignment deal, so they paid me for the coasters, minus the consignment fee. Everything went great!
This isn't the type of deal I would do with just anyone. You have to be cautious of such transactions and do your homework. I had never met Joyce or Gary before they contacted me. They live in a different state and I had never done anything like this before without knowing the people first. I did a little research and saw that JGWoodSigns had been on Etsy since 2008, had sold over 400 items and had 100% feedback. This made me feel good about the transaction. And there was a lot of communication between Joyce and I which also helped me get to know her and feel comfortable about everything.
Consignment isn't for everyone, but it is something to consider and can open doors for more opportunities and sales. This transaction was great and I hope to work with Joyce and Gary again soon :)

14 comments:

  1. awesome! I'm glad everything went so well for you Edi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. I've been considering approaching two local boutiques about possible wholesale or consignment.

    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found some good business partners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, not partners per se, but people you can trust to do business with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great to be able to be in a show... without going! I know a lot of shows won't let you sell things that you didn't make. I hope they had your business cards displayed! Sounds like another great partnership, yes! {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear it went well for you! I have a consignment deal with a shop in the city, and I went there in person to check it out before I made them any product. Gotta be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted to approach a shop with my wares for a long while, although the whole consignment thing is a bit intimidating for first-timers...

    I'm so glad you found honest, communicative people to do business with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea! I'm glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy this worked out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great that this worked out to be such a positive transaction! It is so important to do your homework, especially for consignment. I know people who have had very mixed experiences with it, but I'm glad that it worked out well for you. I hope that you can work with them again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like that worked out great!

    I'm sure you will be working together again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an interesting way to do it!
    love that tree, BTW!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!
I love your comments!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...